HEAD OF MISSION: CENTRAL AFRICA
The Unmentionables Global is seeking a part-time, unpaid Head of Mission: Central Africa (HoM). The HoM will contribute to our international NGO’s pilot programs in Uganda, Kenya, Somalia and beyond. This position is remote, and unpaid. This is a new position, created for capacity-building, to better serve refugees across the world.
Desired contract length: four months or more.
To define and manage a cost-efficient, effective, and informed response to the needs of vulnerable refugees across the region, while ensuring relationship building with partners.
- Relationship Development: Lead as primary regional contact for non-governmental organizations, governmental entities, product suppliers, and transportation agents.
- Program Development: Work with the Chief Executive Officer and Education Team to implement reproductive, menstrual, and sexual health curriculum.
- Project Development: Work with the Chief Operations Officer and Operations Team to secure and monitor hygiene product distribution of menstrual hygiene products, undergarments, and sexual health products in refugee camps.
- Fiscal Responsibility: Ensure all field-based transactions and expenses are accurately accounted for, with the highest degree of transparency. Oversee purchase of products and operational expenses.
- Information Database: Build a comprehensive resource for in-country and foreign volunteers on the team. Collect and monitor demographic data.
- Experience living and working in Central or Eastern Africa in refugee/humanitarian context
- Strong background in program and project management
- Capacity and willingness to travel across Central Africa for periodic assignments, location scouting, meetings, as well as monitoring and evaluation
- Compassion and competency to serve displaced refugees across clusters of WASH, GBV, protection, and education
- Fluency in English (written, oral, and spoken)
- Higher education degree (at least two years at a college, university, or other post-secondary school institution)
- Working knowledge of at least one other language relevant to the region
- At least 23 years of age
- Excellent physical, mental and emotional health. The interview process will entail a check-up for evaluating overall well-being of candidates
- Phenomenal computer literacy: the HoM reports virtually to COO and CEO, inputs data through online sources, and shares logs and reports by email
- Ability to thrive in tense, ever-changing, and unreliable environments
- Stellar communication skills, utilized through discernment, professionalism and perspective
- Desire to build a sustainable foundation for The Unmentionables Global, that will surpass HoM’s contract length
- Currently living in Central or Eastern Africa
- Experience working with low-budget NGO or start-up business
- Background in fiscal management
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degrees
- Former security management or supervision
- Former/current board member of charity
This position is unpaid. A smart phone (with calling, SMS/text and internet credits) will be provided solely for work purposes. Work-related travel expenses, communication tools (phone and internet access), and meeting expenses will be paid for or reimbursed by The Unmentionables. As this is a short-term, voluntary position, there is no visa support for foreign or local applicants.
Interested candidates should send a CV/resume, LinkedIn profile, and three relevant references to: [email protected]. Only candidates applying with requested documents, and selected for next steps, will be contacted by email.
This person will report to the Chief Operations Officer. Candidates will undergo two video interviews, with different teammates, to include the COO. Interviews are conducted on a rolling basis.