Reporting To: Chief Executive Officer
The Development Director is responsible for all fundraising initiatives and activities of The Unmentionables in a remote capacity. He/she is directly responsible for the development and implementation of the annual giving plan including cultivating and maintaining relationships with new and existing donors and supporters, developing and building a Major Gifts Program with the Chief Executive Officer and researching and writing grant proposals providing evaluation reports as required. The Director is also responsible for managing The Unmentionables’ fundraising events, and overseeing donor relations, engagement, and retention programming. As a member of the senior management team, the Development Director participates in strategic planning and budgeting initiatives in addition to problem solving. He/she works within the guidelines, policies and mission of the organization and will be accountable and responsible for specific projects as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Human Resource Management
- Direct, plan and coordinate the work of the fundraising staff including supervision and evaluation, training and team building (when such a staff is available).
- Organize and attend departmental meetings to maintain effective communication.
- Ensure adequate and qualified volunteers to carry out the fundraising activities.
- In consultation with the Chief Executive Officer, the Development Director will be responsible for the selection, hiring, coaching, and discipline of the fundraising volunteers (and staff, when applicable).
- Responsible for the development, implementation, management, and evaluation of the The Unmentionables’ Comprehensive Annual Fundraising Strategy, including presentation to the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, management, and evaluation of all activities related to individual giving.
- Jointly responsible for the development of a Major Gifts Program alongside the Chief Executive Officer, including research, identification of potential donors, developing the case for giving and developing and maintaining relationships.
- Remain current on all legislation and ethical practices pertaining to fundraising.
- Responsible for the supervision and management of the fundraising database, Income Manager (where applicable), ensuring the timely distribution of tax receipts for 2018 and beyond.
- Compile, maintain and report on the Annual Giving Campaign statistics including per donor gift, churn, participation etc.
- Analyze trends in the Annual Giving Campaign, identifying opportunities and challenges and developing strategies to ensure goals are met.
Foundations, Corporate and Service Club Funding
- Research and develop monetary and in-kind funding proposals for charitable foundations, corporate charitable funds, start-ups and social enterprises, service clubs and other similar funds.
Special Events Fundraising
- Research, develop, manage, and implement one signature fundraising event targeted at Major Gifts recruitment, including but not limited to volunteer recruitment, budget development and management, project plan development, management and evaluation, and solicitation of gifts in-kind and sponsorship for 2018 and beyond.
- Research develop, manage, and implement one additional fundraising event targeted at engaging existing one-time and recurring donors for Q1 of 2018.
Third Party Fundraising
- Identify, develop and manage third-party partners, education, sports, sorority/fraternity, and community groups interested in fundraising on behalf of The Unmentionables
- Manage the Peer-to- Peer Fundraising platform.
Board of Directors
- The Development Director will serve on the Board of Directors, with voting rights
- Develop and deliver Fundraising reports to the Board of Directors at each Board meeting
- Provide relevant fundraising data to the Treasurer for the Financial Reports.
- Must embrace the mission of The Unmentionables to provide Dignity through Hygiene to global refugee populations through the provision of underwear, bras, feminine hygiene products, sexual health products, and related intimate health education programming.
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Have knowledge and experience in fundraising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers.
- Have the desire to build external relationships.
- Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Commiserate fundraising and marketing experience, previous remote working
experience also beneficial.
- At present, this position is volunteer-based. However, based on a performance benchmarking, the Development Director will become eligible for stipends and full- /part-time employment as funding growth allows.
Start Date: ASAP
To apply, please send a CV/Resume, Cover Letter, and professional references to Chief Executive Officer Kaleigh Heard at firstname.lastname@example.org.